San Diego, CA
Job ID: 16298717 - Construction/Facilities - Posted 17 hours ago
A respected real estate investor/manager is looking is looking for a Construction Manager to join their team and be involved in the day-to-day management of commercial construction projects. This role involves managing project teams, coordinating with contractors and consultants, and liaising with internal and external stakeholders. The Construction Manager plays a crucial role in ensuring successful on time and on budget project execution from planning, through construction, to assist the VP of Property Management and the Sr. Property Manager in overseeing and coordinating all property management, A/P, A/R, maintenance and construction activities for the company's southern California portfolio of retail, industrial and office properties, as well as providing executive and clerical support on an as needed basis.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Per the requirements of the Real Estate Manager, prepare a design and construction budget capturing all hard and soft costs.
- Review requirements, vet, and select Design and Engineering team.
- Manage the development of and review plans and specifications for functionality, economy, and value to both the user and owner/landlord.
- Monitor the development of the construction documents to ensure the final design conforms to the approved construction budget.
- Assist in procuring building permits.
- Provide at least three pre-qualified Contractors to provide bid proposals.
- Prepare and distribute the following documentation to the bidders: invitation to bid; instructions to bidders, bid form, drawings and specifications.
- Coordinate and schedule a pre-bid meeting at the project site.
- Prepare a bid summary sheet to evaluate bid proposals.
- Evaluate and level bid proposals and make a Contractor recommendation to the real estate team.
- Notify the unsuccessful bidders of the decision.
- Prepare construction contracts and check for proper insurance requirements.
- Schedule pre-job start meeting with successful Contractor at the job site.
- Have Contractor submit subcontractor list with address, phone and state license number of each sub trade.
- Have Contractor prepare job schedule before job starts and inform of long lead time items that might impact schedule.
- Review all the Contractor’s submissions including shop drawings, product data, samples, etc. and transmit the submission that are recommended for approval to the real estate team and design professional.
- Visit job site periodically to observe the progress and quality of the work and determine if the work is being performed in accordance with the contract documents and contracted schedule and budget.
- Provide any and all requested communication, including construction progress documentation and reporting, to internal and external stakeholders.
- Review all change orders requests and obtain appropriate approvals.
- Review General Contractor payment package to include: Application and Certificate for Payment; Continuation Sheet; Unconditional and/or Conditional waivers and release upon progress and or final payments.
- Schedule punch list walk-through upon completion of job with Contractor and Design professional.
- Review Close-Out Package to include: complete set of as-built architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical, etc. drawings; building permit and signed off inspection card; subcontractor list; Contractor and subcontractor warranty/guarantee letters. Operating manuals.
- File all documents electronically per current CM department filing standards.
Qualification & Requirements
- College degree in construction management, engineering, or a related field (equivalent relevant experience may be accepted) is required.
- Minimum 5 years of experience, as determined by Firm, in construction industry.
- Understanding of Planning, Architecture, and Construction.
- Broad understanding of building codes.
- Supervisory skills.
- Mechanical aptitude.
- Computer skills necessary to perform duties specific to construction department.
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize tasks effectively.